Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why I hate the "B" Word

The word "Bitch" is used in popular culture in every aspect of it.  From people calling others that, either in a joking or a mean manner, to the name of a popular (semi?) artist, the word has taken on many different meanings to many different people.  But regardless of the context and useage, I still flinch every time I hear the word.  Let me tell you why.

I think the word "bitch" is incredibly degrading, especially to women.  And until the entire world and every single person is able to reclaim the word to mean something different, it shouldn't be used at all.  I tried to do a bit of reseach for this blog (and by research I mean wikipedia).  Bitch, by it's very definition, is a female dog.  Now, I bet if anyone comes up to anyone and calls them a female dog, people would generally be confused.  In slang terms, "dog" is commonly a negative word put on someone, which is the first negative strike to the word "bitch."

The second negative strike to the word "bitch" would be the fact that it is a female dog.  So because the word "bitch" is negatively connotated, it implicitly shows that females are inferior to males and females are implicitly negative.

So the general origins of the word annoy me and make me sad, especially because there are so many people that loosely swing the word around.  I admit I have on occassion utilized that word as well.  I honestly feel that people don't understand first of all what the word means, and second of all, what the implications of the word means.

I argue that by calling someone a bitch, you are degrading females everywhere.  Because of the way the word has been used in society and popular culture, it's a word that takes on a lot more meaning than what is just at surface level.  It's a word that has been used in the past to call people mean names; but under the surface, it is saying that person is mean or bad because they are a "female dog."  Seriously, why is it so wrong to be a female?

I think it gets even worse than that.  What happens when a male calls a female a bitch in a serious manner?  It is the ultimate form of disrespect and degrading within that word.  Not only are you a female, but you are a low form of an animal as well.  And by women calling other women that word, in a serious or in a joking manner, it only is perpetuating the fact that it is ok for anyone to call anyone else a bitch.  Which I disagree with.

While not the same thing, I think about the feminist movement and it's comparisions to other equality movements.  For example.  There was a time, a long time ago, when the n-word was considered slang and an acceptable form of joking or even a small degradation tool that people didn't confront.  Or the f-word, or even the word "gay," to an extent.  It's the same thing in that the origins of these words mean simplistic things, and society has created an implicit meaning of degradation.  There have been movements to try to get people to think about their choice of words, because these words are degrading and inappropriate.  When is it time for the movement against "bitch?" 

I argue the time is now.  Now is the time that we stop degrading women, and one of the easiest things we can do is watch our language. 

There have been movements in the past for people to reclaim words.  For example, there is a popular musical artist named Bitch, who worked to create equality for women.  There is a feminist magazine called Bitch.  The point of reclaiming words is to empower the word to yourself.  So if I were to reclaim the word bitch, I would be proud to be a strong woman.  And I am, very proud, of being a strong feminist woman.  But here is my issue with reclaiming.  It only works if everyone buys into it.  While I don't think reclaiming a word is out of the question, I also feel that reclaiming a word needs time and a society needs to be ready for education.  That being said, it's not really going to mean much to reclaim the word bitch, and people still use it in a derogatory way. There could be a great element of education in reclaiming a word for the general population. However, the general public also needs to have some sort of awareness before this education can happen. And I feel that the general public isn't ready for that yet.

That being said, I hate the word "bitch." It might be one of my most hated words, because of the implications it has on society and people. I am not sure how well I explain this, but at least I hope it makes someone think that the words they use, while seemingly meaningless, actually are laced with a plethora of meanings and emotions.

And of course, because I was mean again, here is a picture of my cutie cat to lighten the mood:

No comments:

Post a Comment