Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Man Up, Albany."

I was driving to practice the other day, and all of a sudden, I almost got into a car accident.  Not because of anything other than the fact that I was so shocked by a billboard I saw, I almost slammed on my brakes on the highway.  And the great thing is, in my 7 minute round trip drive to the roller rink, there are 3 of the same billboards.

What gets me all shocked and bothered?  The new Miller Light advertisements.  If you haven't seen it, it is a picture of the beer and the Miller Light logo, with the phrase "Man Up Albany."  Because nothing says being a man more like drinking Miller Light, or so the advertisement wants you to think.

Let's look at just the purpose of the reasoning behind the advertisement.  You can argue with me on this one, because I am just assuming.  But in the past, it generally has not been socially acceptable for men to drink "light" beer.  It typically is a "woman's" drink, because women are the ones that are calorie conscious and watch their figure.  So by Miller saying to "Man Up," it means, be the ultimate man and drink the light beer.  Because real men drink light beer.  That's the main point of this advertisement, correct?

So..... I'm confused.  Why is it only women that drink light beer?  The fact that this is a social norm is amazing to me.  Only women diet?  Only women watch their weight?  Only women like light tasting beer?  Nay, my friends, nay.  This way of thinking perpetuates the myth that all women have are their looks, and men have the brains and muscles.  Seriously, this is one small example of how something so tiny like advertising gets into people's heads and mindsets and creates this terrible objectification and inequality.  It's terrible, and it's really frustrating to me.

And let's not mention the phrase "man up."  Seriously?  Who in the hell created this phrase, or thought it would be a positive thing to start saying?  I want to go and hip check them.  Hard.  Repeatedly.  What does it even mean to "man up?" Does it mean to act like a real man?  What does a real man act like?  I guess my point in this is that there shouldn't be actual characteristics on what a real man is like.  A real man should be whatever they want to be.  Again, this perpetuates the stereotypes that are so present in society, and it just makes me angry.

I guess my whole point and issue is that gender stereotypes are so ingrained in society, they fit into the smallest of things, and people don't realize it.  People don't understand the implications of gender stereotypes and this type of language.

What if someone doesn't fit a gender stereotype?  What if there is someone that is biologically male, but likes show tunes?  What if this biological male wants to drink pina coladas and not beer, light or otherwise?  Society is telling him this is "wrong," that this is not what a man is.  But he is a man.  Think of the damage, the brainwashing, the trouble that could happen because even the most subtle of messages is drowning in gender stereotypes.  It's terrifying to me.

I refuse to buy Miller products.  In fact, in doing a bit of research, I have realized that Miller is bottled by the Coors Brewing Company.  Because of that, I will not be purchasing Miller or Coors beer products in the future.  I encourage you to do the same if you are not happy with the advertisements.

Additionally, this is interesting.  On the MillerCoors website, they have a code of conduct and also a message on how they would love to work with women and minority suppliers.... interesting.  I think it's a good thing that the company says they are striving for equality in business.  Yet their advertising says something completely and totally different. 

Maybe people don't understand or realize the scope of their impact.  But as my friend Spiderman says, "with great power comes great responsibility."  It's huge to be powerful enough to buy billboards and advertise your product.  But with that comes the responsibility of being held accountable for your actions and working to make this world a better place.  I feel that the MillerCoors company is not doing that, and for that, I refuse to do business with them.

And as always, the ones who will always boycott beer in general because it is terrible for their health:

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the billboard but it seems to me that the idea behind this advertisement is to break with the gender stereotypes that you are criticising in your post, not to enforce them. Isn't Miller telling its male customers that it is OK to drink light beer? The ad encourages men to think outside the box, to drink light beer even though it might not be considered a "manly" beverage by some. If the phrase "Man Up, Albany" offended you to the point of almost getting yourself into a car accident, I think you are missing the irony behind this ad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I was also greatly disturbed by these signs. I viewed them as irresponsible for these reasons, as well as for connecting drinking beer with "manning up" which disturbs me due to the issues of alcoholism, violence, etc.

    You can call the company and let them know how you feel at 18006455376

    ReplyDelete